(the things you really need)
Here is a recommended checklist that I added my experience and thoughts to. I would recommend going online and reading reviews. You might start your registry online and finish it in the store.
Baby Room
Crib- There are tons of different cribs out there. They make cribs that will convert to a toddler bed and then to a double bed. They make round cribs and rectangular cribs. It's hard to find sheets that fit the round beds. You need to decide if you want this crib to stay with your child and grow with them or if you'd like your crib to be one you use with each of you children.
Crib mattress- I think all crib mattresses are water proof, but make sure.
Mattress pads- get the waterproof
Fitted crib sheets- need at least 2, 3 is preferable
Crib bedding set (bumper pad, bed skirt, quilt, and pillows)- If you don’t want the whole set, just invest in the bumper pad and bed skirt. You can’t really use the quilt, it’s too heavy for baby to sleep under and they suggest you don’t put anything in the crib anyway. That means you really don’t need the pillows either. You might get one or two to use as throw pillows to keep the theme in the room.
Dresser or armoire
Changing table- I tried to save money by using a small dresser I had and putting a contoured changing pad on it. I would not recommend making your own changing table. Go ahead and get one. I’m getting one with the tower on the side for my next baby.
Baby monitor- I got one with lights that I love. Check the online reviews!
Hangers- I never have enough hangers!
Organizer baskets- I can’t get enough of these.
Glider or rocker- I didn’t get one and I wish I had. Make sure you have some sort of comfortable rocker to sit in the nursery.
Nursing pillow/ Boppy Pillow & pillow cases- get one even if you’re not planning on nursing. They are great for helping baby sit on their own and cradling or propping up baby’s head. I used it the whole first year.
Wedge Pillow- put in the crib to prop up baby’s torso. Great during colds. Nice to have, but not a necessity.
Night Light- You'll need something when you doing your feedings at night. You want something very low light, but enough so that you can see what you're doing so that you don't have to turn on a light.
Mobile/ Crib toy- I went ahead and got the Fisher Price bedtime music thing that mounts on the side of the crib. I loved it.
Hamper
Bassinet and sheets- I used one with my first child, but only for a month or so. I don’t think it’s worth the investment. Instead get a play yard with bassinet attachment. Get sheets for the play yard if it doesn’t come with them. You might want to get quilted sheets to add some padding. You could also use a Moses basket, which is very versatile.
Changing pad & covers- again at least 2, 3-4 covers preferable. Make sure your changing table doesn't already have a pad with it. Most don't.
Wipe warmer- I used it a lot at with a new born, but when we got to one poopy diaper a day I found that I wasn’t using enough wipes and they would start to burn on the bottom. I started putting the wipes in there still in their package and cutting a slit in the top. The plastic keeps the moister in the wipes and only a few of them end up browning on the bottom. Nice thing to have, but not a necessity. Some of my friends who used cloth diapers and cloth wipes found it very helpful to keep their wipes moist and ready to use without having to go to the bathroom and wet their wipes. So, I would definitely recommend it if you're going to use cloth diapers.
Diaper pail- I tried to save money here as well by just getting a trashcan, but I ended up getting a diaper pale later. I would recommend the Diaper Genie II. They keep the smell out really well and when your little one gets older, they won’t be able to get the diapers out and put them all over the floor! When my kids got older, I just started putting them in the kitchen trash and I take it out everyday.
CD player & Lullaby music- nice to have, don’t know that I’d register for it unless you see one you really want
Sleep Machine- I don't know if you could register for this, they don't sell them at your typical registries. I would recommend getting them. They really keep the noise out of the nursery so that the phone or the doorbell or siblings to wake them up. We even use it when we go to hotels. Here is a link that sells them or search them on the web. http://www.sleepwellbaby.com/SleepMate-980A-White-Noise-Machine-p/sm-980.htm
Clock/Timer- great for night feedings if your nursing. They tell you to nurse so long on each side, so having a clock where you can see it from your chair will be helpful. You might want to even get a timer. I found I would fall asleep. I had a timer and it would wake us both up to do the other side.
Baby wear-
You’ll get so many baby clothes; you may not need to register for clothes. What you might do is register just for things you really like then go back after the shower and exchange for things you didn’t get or fill in with gift cards. Here is a guide if you feel you need one.
Bodysuits/ Onesies- 7-8
Gowns- 5-7 Great for nighttime, you don’t have to unsnap and snap to change the diapers. Tend not to stay down so I didn’t use them during the day.
Footed pajamas- I couldn’t get enough of these. I would get as many as possible. I put the socks on under the footies and it helped them stay in place. As it gets colder you can put bodysuits underneath to help baby stay warmer.
Booties/ socks- 4-5 pair ( I would recommend several more)
Leather crib shoes- Roobeeze is the main brand, but Target has them, too. I would get one pair that is versatile. They are really great in the wintertime to add warmth.
Caps- 2-3 (they are hard to keep on, but the nurses will tell you they need them to keep their body temperature up as newborns.
Receiving blankets- I would not register for these, I had them running out my ears. They are inexpensive so if you feel you didn’t get enough, you can always get more.
Seasonal outerwear- if you don’t get any for your shower, go to the second hand store. Outerwear can be expensive and baby will grow out of it quickly, so going to a second hand store you get almost new clothing for half the price!
Clothing the next size up- chances are you will get clothes ranging in sizes from newborn to 6-9 months. Check the sizes when you’re going through the clothes afterwards. If you got 2 of the same outfits, they might be in different sizes and you can use them later.
Coming home outfit- since you won’t know how big your baby will be, I would pick out 2 outfits from different sizes that you got from your shower. If you didn’t get any preemie outfits, you might go get a couple and if you don’t use them, you can always take them back for bigger sizes. (Wal-Mart carries Preemie clothes)
T-shirts (6)- I found I liked the bodysuits better for the first few months.
Dress up outfits- 2-3 they’re cute, but you won’t need a whole bunch. These will be the clothes everyone gets you anyway.
Sweaters 1-3 If you register for these, just register for the sizes your baby will be in the winter.
Mittens- 2-3 pair even in the summer they are helpful to keep baby from scratching their face
Baby Gear
Do the research! Look at the online reviews. It will help you find the best products out there. I would recommend going to Gracobaby.com. They have matching sets and their car seats are top rated!
Car seats- you will need 2: an infant carrier and a toddler/booster seat. Baby will need to be in a rear facing seat until the age of 1 so make sure you get an infant carrier that will handle as close to 30lbs as possible. The #1 complaint is that the kids grow out of their seats too quickly. The #2 complaint is that the seats won’t fit in smaller cars, so if you have one look for reviews from women with small cars. You can also get a convertible car seat that goes from rear facing to front facing to booster. They recommend that kids stay in a booster until they are 4’9” (sure- whatever) so I would get a carrier and a convertible seat. You’ll need your carrier installed in your car before you go to the hospital! They make travel systems that will let you fit your carrier into your stroller! I would definitely recommend getting one. Now that I have had a child in a car seat for 4 years, I have gotten the smaller booster seat. Flint can buckle himself in that seat, it's really easy for us to move it from one car to the next. New Mexico law says a child must be in a car seat (not a booster) until they are 5, so I'm taking my chances. Most women I know have already gone to the booster.
Stroller- Look at the travel systems first. Make sure you read the online reviews. If you have a small car you might have a hard time finding one that will fit in your trunk. Complaints about that will be in the reviews. I loved the Graco systems. They were perfect for me. However, one of my friends got a jogging stroller that I borrowed once and I loved it. You can also get one of the very small lightweight stollers. I liked that for when they went to stay with grandparents or when I needed to go into a small boutique. They are fairly inexpensive, so I would get one.
Car shade- must have even with tinted windows. The stick-on ones work better when they are older and can grab the shades.
Mirrors- they make 2 mirrors: 1- you can attach to the seat so you can see baby in the rear facing seat. You must get one. 2- the other one will fit on your rearview mirror and is great for the front facing seats. This way you can use your rearview mirror for actually watching traffic! Both mirrors are inexpensive & must haves.
Diaper Bag- they have great diaper bags with changing pads, bottle insulators, & wipe packs. They get heavy with bottles and stuff so get a lightweight one. You might want to have it monogrammed, too! It makes it really easy to spot your bag among other kids. They tend to wear out, so you might need to get another smaller one in a year or so.
Infant carrier and/or sling- I loved my infant carrier. Get one that can be worn on the front (for newborns) and on the back (for older babies). I heard the slings are wonderful, too.
Play yard- must have! I love my play yard. I used it as a bassinet and on trips as a baby bed. I would also put Flint in there when he started sitting up with all his toys and it would confine him so he wasn’t getting into things. They make them with changing table attachments, which is great for the first few months. You can also save it for company with babies or for grandbabies!
Portable bed- I wouldn't get this if you get a play yard. If you don't want to spend that much money on a play yard, get this instead. They range from $20-$40 and they are great if you go to someones house or even for a picknic on a warm day.
Swing- I read a book that suggested you don’t use a swing for sleeping purposes. You might want to avoid the temptation of putting them in the swing to get them to sleep by just not having one. It’s up to you. If you decide you need one, get one with the rounded legs. When they get older, they can reach the legs and strip the gears.
Bouncy seat- Sits on the floor and keeps baby upright. I used mine all the time.
Jumpers- Hangs in doorway and allows baby to jump. Another must have. Can hang anywhere. Instant babysitter!
Highchair- I would recommend getting one on rollers with different height positions and dishwasher safe tray. Get one without the sections on the tray. It’s much easier to clean. If you don't have room for a highchair, they make portable ones to going in existing dinning chairs.
Portable Booster Seat- I found one I love. It’s blue plastic with a yellow tray. It folds up and has belts that you can fasten to the chair. It’s great at the house or when we went to a restaurant that didn’t have a high chair, at church dinners or when we’d go to someone’s house to eat. Definitely a must have.
Spot carpet cleaner- (not the spray, an actual carpet cleaner) this is another must have. With all the messes that happen, you’ll want something lightweight with a hose and attachments to clean up messes on carpet, furniture, etc. Also, they say all the liners in the seats (car seats, swings, highchairs, etc.) you get are washable, but I’ve found that when you wash them, the stuffing will ball up and make it nearly impossible to get it back in place. If you have a spot cleaner, you can use it instead of taking everything apart and washing it.
Totally toddler stain remover- sold at Toy’s R Us in a big jug. Must have. I use it all the time in a spray bottle. It will get any stain out except blood. I started using it for my everyday stains. I also use it for solution in my carpet cleaner.
Baby Toys
Everyone will get you toys. Unless you see something you can’t live without, I wouldn’t register for many toys.
Activity arch- it’s great to have something for baby to lay under and grow to play with.
Activity gym- I just got a walker. It’s got things to play with & gets baby upright. However, they say that it’s harder to teach babies to walk in a walker. You might keep baby in there while their pushing themselves around and then take them out as they start to show an interest in walking.
Teething toys- use a wet washcloth. Lots of teething toys will leak and they don’t really like them anyway. They’re cheap so if you feel you need one go get one.
Stuffed animals- everyone will get you a stuffed animal. You don't really need to register for any.
Heavy push cart- Register for this. When baby is learning to walk, the best way is by pushing things. They make an activity push cart, but the best ones are the heavy ones that won’t turn over. They can get kinda pricey though.
Bumbo seat- you will love this. Remember to keep these on a soft floor. Don't put them up on a table.
Floppy seat- can get at Toys R Us or Wal-Mart. It’s a padded seat that goes over grocery carts and restaurant high chairs. It’s made for entertainment and for sanitary reasons; however, I found it was extremely useful for when baby wasn’t quite ready to sit up and it added extra support. I would also put it in a shopping cart and lay my baby in it when I didn’t want to bring in the carrier. It would make a small crib so he could sleep. I would definitely recommend adding to your registry.
Bath Toys
Soft or board books- Don’t get books with pages yet, they won’t last long.
Baby Care
Bottles 5-8 Nursing moms will need to go ahead and get natural latch bottles. If you think that you won’t use them, you’re crazy. Go ahead and get them. You will want some time away from your child. Your baby will need to get used to drinking from something other than you. Trust me. If you're formula feeding, I would suggest the cheapest and most convienent. I don't know how many times I had to run out and pick up bottles.
Bottle warmer- I’ve heard they‘re great. I didn’t have one. Not a must have, but nice.
Bottle brush- 3-4 must have. Munchkin makes a great one with a sponge on the tip and a nipple brush in the handle. These are great! They do wear out, so it’s nice to have extra or get them later. I wouldn't recommend getting the generic brand on these. They wear out quicker and I actually cut my self on the Circo brand.
Dishwasher basket- great for keeping all of your bottle parts together and out of the bottom of the dishwasher. However, I found that bottle parts don’t really get clean in the dishwasher. I ended up washing everything by hand. You end up having to anyway.
Extra nipples- you might want to wait to get these until you find out which one works with your baby.
Formula dispenser- even if your nursing they’re great for carrying snacks later.
Baby plate, bowl, cup, spoon set- nice to have a bunch for later. You might want to get one that's more of a keepsake. If I were you, I'd stay away from breakable sets. They'll get broken.
Pacifiers- the hospital will give you a pacifier. Whichever one your baby gets first may likely be the only one they’ll take. You might bring the ones you want to use to the hospital.
Breast pump- before you invest in a pump, I would rent one to see how much you’ll use it. They can get really pricey. Make sure your going to stick with breast feeding long enough to make the investment worthwhile. If you decide you want to nurse for longer than 2-3 months, I would get the electric pump. If you’re going to just nurse for the first few months, you might just get a hand pump or rent one. Lots of women don’t even use Breast pumps once they’ve established a routine with their baby. I would definitely wait to get one.
Nursing accessories (pads, cream, storage bags)
Bibs- fabric and plastic. Register for some of the towel like bibs with the T-shirt neck on them. They aren’t the cutest bibs, but they are so functional for everyday use. They cover the whole body of your baby. So when they spit up, chances are you won’t have to change their clothes you can just change the bib. You can also use it as a burp cloth. Try to get ones with small neck holes, they work better.
Burp cloths- package or two of the cheap ones. You’ll get plenty of cute ones.
Diapers/ wipes/ rash cream- you’ll get these anyway
Infant bath tub- you’ll need different ones for different stages. I got an infant tub and a blow up ducky tub. I used both.
Baby shampoo and wash- get a pump so you don’t have to use both hands.
Wash cloths- I had these running out of my ears, too. I wouldn’t register for them.
Hooded towels- put them on your registry if you find some you really like. You’ll probably get some cute ones anyway.
Grooming kit- brush, comb, toothbrush, nail clippers (Register for these kits. You’ll want to make sure you have these on hand)
Medicine Kit- thermometer, medicine dropper, nose sucker, etc.
Instant read thermometer- I invested in one, I wish I had gotten it sooner. I recommend you buy one if you don’t get it at your shower. You can find them at “One step ahead” or “Babies R Us”.
Ear & Throat Exam Kit- I would definitely get one. You use these to detect ear infections. They make different kinds. Babies get ear infections all the time and there is no way for them to tell you. You can save many trips to the doctor by getting one of these. (Note: They make prescription ear drops to help ease the pain. Most doctors won’t offer them; you might have to ask for them. They work!)
Baby Movement Monitor- It goes under the sheet in the crib and if your baby doesn't move for so many seconds it will sound an alarm. I didn't have one, I wish I had.
Medicine: Teething Gel, Infant Tylenol, Tylenol Cold, Simethicone Drops (Mylecon- gas relief)- You’ll need these things on hand. Typically you won’t get these things at your shower unless you register for them. Make sure you have them when your baby comes so you don’t have to go out in the middle of the night to get them.
I know there is a lot to think about when you’re getting prepared. I would definitely try to use things you already have as much as possible. Unless you can afford all new nursery furniture, don’t boggle your brain trying to get everything. You will use this stuff for a year and a half with each child. After that they will be growing out of everything getting new beds, etc. Use what you get and make due for the rest. I registered at Target, Babies R Us, and a specialty store (for fun). I found that Babies R Us has the best baby gear and Target has the best baby basics. Target also has little tabs you can stick in your shower invites with the web address on them. Target won’t let you return items with out a gift receipt. You might find a way to remind your guests that they need to include the gift receipt when shopping at Target. Don’t forget to bring your baby book to the shower! You may want to get together with the women throwing your shower. They have shower party supplies with matching thank you cards and baby announcements. Kinda fun to have everything matching! You can also give them you Thank you card envelopes and have everyone address their own envelopes as they sign in. That way you have everyone’s address and all you have to do is write the note! This is a real time saver.
Hope you have a great shower!
No comments:
Post a Comment