Potty Training

The suggested age to start potty training is 15 months for girls and 18-24 months for boys. Watch for signs that they are ready- not urinating during the night, realizing when they need a diaper change, being interested in the toilet.

I think the most affective way to potty train is to start with underwear. Use their diapers just at night and go straight to underwear.

I’m in no way a specialist on potty training. I would get a book. Check my links for the Potty Training Book I used. It was only $7 and you downloaded it. It was a quick read. I read almost the whole book in one morning! I would definitely recommend it. You can also go to Amazon.com and read the reviews on the potty training books. You can really get a feel for what the book is about and which books are helpful and which ones are a waste of money.

Things to prepare them for the transition:
Change diaper frequently, so they can get used to being dry.
Point out when they’ve made a poopy diaper and when they tinkle.
Get a potty that they can sit on, so when others go to the bathroom, they can go too!
Get children's videos and books so they can get used to the idea of using the toilet.
Record their diaper changes so that you are aware of their schedule.

Tips for the training process:
Get a chart and stickers. Let them put a sticker on the chart when they use the bathroom and only when they tinkle or poopy.
Get a timer. Set it for every 20min. When it goes off, everyone can sing "It's potty time!" and head to the bathroom.
Make going to the bathroom fun by putting some of their favorite books by the toilet. While they are trying to go, they can read!
Use fun underwear as an incentive!
Be consistent! You'll need to do this for at least 3 days and perhaps longer if your child doesn't pick up on it as quick.

Contact me for Charts and Certificates!

Good Luck!

No comments: